Then I saw this by my gorgeous high school friend Mel and the story behind it touched my heart. If she could do it then perhaps I could do it to right?
Nope, I went as far as buying some beautiful fabric with all intentions of making a quilt for my mothers 60th birthday but the day passed and I hadn't even begun to cut into it!
Fast forward a year and I then met this* beautiful person. And that's what she does, she cuts up all these bits of fabric to only piece them all back together but this time more beautifully.
So, armed with a Bliss charm square pack and then the sudden news that another friend of mine was ill, I then had both the supplies and a very good reason to start my first ever quilt.

This part literally does your head in, just when you think it looks fine, you swap a piece only to need to swap another 3 pieces in order for it to look right again. Then you think it looked better the original way but you can't remember what the original way was!

All sewn together and too late for any more changes.

Add some white to break the colour up.

Then the final border and look, my first. ever. quilt. top.
With that part over, it was then time to sandwich it together with the back. (which there are no full photos of but it was just 3 pieces of fabric sewn together.)
Now this is where Miss B comes in (again!) and because my first attempt at actually quilting it was a bit dodgy, she took over that part. Okay, in saying that, I learnt the valuable lesson of why a walking foot is called exactly that.
In comes the dreaded flu and not only did that gorgeous girl quilt it, she also added the binding and hand sewed three quarters of it. This then involved sitting at Gloria Jeans one morning and getting a quick lesson on how to do a corner.

Cos of course, that's what you do!
Yesterday, I finished off the last little bit, snipped loose threads, removed all safety pins, washed it and threw it in the dryer.



Will send it off to it's new home this morning, it may be a little late but I'm hoping it will still be well received and much loved.
*can you believe that not only did I meet both Mel and Bianca decades apart, I discovered that they actually "knew" each other from the blogging world. How awesome is that?
Excuse the dodgy photos, they were from my iPhone!
2 comments:
yay for you! It looks gorgeous!
Yeah baby!! Nice work Mel, like REALLY nice! Oh how I wish I'd had a Bianca to teach me stuff in person. Reading books is not the same.
God you're so right about the moving one piece only to see that it clashes and was better where it was. I call Jamie in for those times. Sometimes I've just stared at it too long and a fresh pair of eyes is needed. Oh and sometimes I take a quick shot of the layout because it often looks different when you see it through a viewfinder.
I'm sure your friend was bowled over by such a generous gift. xx
Post a Comment