Friday, 22 January 2010

I am wondering...

What I ever did without it!

Back at the end of April in 2009, I bought my first ever sewing machine. I had only ever really sewed in year 8 which was, oh so many years ago! Anyway, at the time, I asked the very nice lady at Spotlight what else I would need to travel on the journey of sewing. I bought a heap of things that would bode me well and then I asked about a gathering foot as I knew that I wanted to make things that would be gathered especially because I have 3 delicious girls!

So, last night I was cutting out some nappy pants and the girls ones will have ruffles on them. I will do rolled hems on them with the overlocker and then do the tiring job of hand gathering all the ruffles. You know, the bit where you stitch along and then you pull the thread to create the ruffles.

After cooking all the kids their breakfast, I grabbed the little packet that had the gathering foot in it and sat at the table with a cup of tea and read the instructions. Well, considering there wre only about 5 instructions to read, I thought it must be pretty simple so off I went to the machine.



And there it is, as simple as that! So now I know how much easier it will be to make this , this and this .

Now I am off to ruffle away to my hearts content!

5 comments:

fran said...

*dances with happiness*
more stock for the shop! w00t

Little Yon Yon said...

Excellent!!! Love the material.

Mel said...

How weird Mel - I bought my machine at the end of April too! Was yours a birthday pressie as well?! Not sure I should have admitted to buying mine at the same time considering how much more accomplished you have become in the same amount of time! But I do know that feeling of stealing away a few minutes or (if I'm really lucky) a few hours to create something. It's better than therapy I reckon!

Now PLEASE send me your address! I want to send you some good stuff!

Mel said...

oh and forgot to say I LOVE the new blog name! Very beautiful :) x

Being Me said...

RUFFLES! You clever stick. I am another former Yr 8 only sewer here, I broke my drought on a pair of awesome curtains I made for Boo's room, which then became Lolly's room.

You're getting me rather inspired to break out the machine again! (once I buy a new needle)