Thursday, 31 December 2009

The past year, the past decade..

I wasn't going to do a blog about this but then Paul was unexpectedly called into work and that left me sitting here with a frangelico in hand and nothing to do!

This then got me thinking about what the past year has brought us and then what about the past decade? So I thought I would try to remember everything I possibly could and write it all down.


So, 2000, this was the year that we conceived Lachlan, the year that the little boy was born that saved my soul. The one that I felt connected to the instant he was lifted onto my chest. This was also the year that Paul and I got married, the year that we both decided that we would spend the rest of our lives together and I was 27 weeks pregnant! We had a gorgeous wedding, a surprise wedding with only 47 people there and it was just divine, it was at our home in a glorious marquee and was held by the priest that christened Isaac and laid him to rest.

2002, this bought with it, the conception of Elisabeth, Pauls emergency back surgery and then September 11 only a month before Elisabeth’s birth. A very sad time indeed. October came and Elisabeth was born on the 31st and we held our breath as they resuscitated her and we were bought back to the very moment we lost Isaac. Her faint little cry down the hallway of the delivery suite was the most beautiful noise I have ever heard.

2003, along came Ruby after weeks of bed rest she was a long awaited sibling for TJ, Lachlan and Elisabeth. This was also the year that we bought our first house, upgraded to a bigger car, gained custody of my niece through family services and the year I lost contact with my sister, Jennifer.

2004, surprisingly, no babies born to us this year and Paul decided to go under the knife to ensure that. Life was good, I was working fulltime, we had a fantastic nanny and TJ was doing really well at school. SO how surprising was it when we fell pregnant with Lucy this same year! This then meant me upgrading to a bigger car and talking seriously about extending the house or moving again!

2005, wow, what a year, probably the biggest of the decade, I was hospitalised for 5 weeks in March which then resulted in the early birth of Lucy at 29 weeks. Scary times as Paul was in Alice Springs and I was alone until my mum arrived. Miss Lucy powered through the NICU and SCN and came home at 34 weeks fully breastfed much to the delight of her older siblings! This was also the time that we decided we would leave Queensland, the place we all grew up in and settle in the Northern Territory. We built our dream house but it certainly was never in my dreams that I would leave my magnificent parents that had guided me through life and moulded me into the person I am today.

2006 had us settled here in our beautiful home and it was a time of new friendships and sad times being away from family. This was also the time that Paul and I grew closer because we only had each other and through this time we cemented our best friends bond.

2007, I was heartbroken to learn that my father needed a quadruple bypass and I was so far away, it hurt like hell and was a very scary time indeed. I flew to my parent’s side and watching him come to after surgery would be akin to seeing my mother go into surgery and not knowing g the outcome only a decade before. I want my parents to live forever. This was also the year that I met and worked with a fantastic man named Michael, the friendship that he struck with our family was just like he was one of us, I didn’t know at the time that heartache was to follow in years to come.

2008, man did that year go past in a blur? I can’t remember anything; I must come back to this one! Oh hang on, this was the year that I met my darling friend Kauren, her beautiful nature, her love, her aura, gosh, just everything about this woman is amazing. This was also a year of sadness towards the end when Paul and I had a falling apart. Thankfully though, through our own strength and love, we came through on the other side much stronger for it.

2009. Gosh, where do I start here? This was my year for meltdowns, the year I felt myself fading away and needing stronger meds. The year I missed Isaac more than ever and the year that TJ decided to leave us to live in Brisbane. This was my year of heartache. TJ finally saw that the grass was greener on this side of the fence and came home but returned to full time employment instead of school. He gained his learner's and will be going for his "P" plates in the new year.

This was also the year that our dear friend Michael died suddenly at the age of 26. This rocked our family and even now we still struggle with it. Paul and TJ went to the funeral and it was an honour for Paul to be asked to speak at the service. We have however formed a lovely bond with his family in Brisbane which has been rather comforting.

On the cheerier side of 2009 though, we bought our newest additions into the family, Max and Bella our gorgeous Staffies. This was the year that I was able to be there and witness the amazing Free birth of my dear friends Fran and Geoff’s little boy, Asher. One of the highlights of my life! This was also a year where it was out with the old and in with the new; I shed some toxic friendships and chose to not have anything to do with my oldest sister Kerry too. I feel so much better for it and have made some amazing friends since then. 2009 will be a year to remember because Paul and I cemented our relationship even more so than before, we became closer through changes we made in our life and we have come out the other side much happier.

2 comments:

fran said...

Bring on the new decade... Another 10 years for making awesome memories and having fantastic times.
Love ya.
f xxx

pennywiggle said...

Such strength and love, I am glad to have come across you at a time when I needed inspiration.