Sunday, 26 April 2009

And this one is for Leigh!

In December last year, something possessed one of my wonderful friends to invite our family on a weekend away. Now there is a very funny story behind this friend and i will share it with you all now!

In December 2005, we had been here for a total of 2 weeks, I knew nobody, loved my house and family but hated being here. I waked into Toyworld to buy some presents for the kids for Christmas and noticed a woman pushing a stroller with a little girl not too much older than Lucy. I didn't think too much of it at the time but after a little while it dawned on me that this lady was with her husband and 3 other children, all about similar ages to my kids. So in the baby toy isle, I said that it was hard to buy for the young ones when there was already so many toys etc in the house.

We then launched into a full on conversation about life in general and I would take a stab in saying that in the space of 20 minutes we both knew pretty much all there is to know about each others lives. Hahahahahaha!

We exchanged phone numbers because I think she felt sorry for me in the fact that I was new here and all alone! LOL!

After Christmas we had 21 days straight of rain, now this might be fantastic if you were in the drought ridden states but in actual fact we weren't and the reality was that I was at home, alone with 5 children and we all had cabin fever.

In late January Paul called me and said that some woman had called Ludmilla and asked for the supervisors number and once she rang Paul she went on to say that she had lost my number and could I possibly call her, now the rest as they say is history!

So my dear friend Leigh has 2 sixteen year olds, an 8 year old, a five year old, a four year old and a two year old. Does that sound fairly familiar to you?

What I found totally amazing is the fact that the four of us adults really got on like a house on fire and we kind of seemed so much alike, our husbands especially. So it was to no surprise that last year we all decided to go away for a weekend to some fab place that Leigh suggested. Now when you read fab, I want you to think about a really green unswimable pool, mouldy walls and ceilings, a couch you couldn't sit on for fear of catching something and filthy dishes in the sink!

On day 2, we were so hungover, we ate eye fillet steak sandwiches within a minute of them being cooked and that night when all kids were soundly sleeping we set out to make our gourmet dinner. Now I had planned to make eye fillet steak, medium rare, and a creamy garlic and prawn sauce served with a salad but it was at this point in time that we discovered that our fridge was indeed not working and that the $40 worth of steak had in fact gone off and that we had to desperately find something to eat whilst in the middle of nowhere!

My mind went in to overtime, Arthur made a fantastic salad, I did the garlic prawns in a creamy sauce with lots of mushrooms and we served it on top of HASH BROWNS! Yes prawns and hash browns, who ever would have thought it!

The weekend wasn't a total disaster thought, the kids, 8 of them under the age of 8 behaved perfectly, the adults, well we behaved somewhat less perfectly and paid for it the next day, no one went swimming but we did get some money refunded. Which reminds me, I owe that too you guys Leigh!!

No comments: