I am talking about teaching right from wrong, choices and consequences, building stong minds but nuturing their soft sides. Sometimes, I find myself throwing my hands in the air, and at a loss to what I should do next, then listen to the inner voice in my heart that says to keep putting one foot in front of the other, that I am doing a fine job.
But does this voice actually exist? Or is just there to try to satisfy me by saying things I really want to hear?
I guess it was answered yesterday at the parent teacher interviews for Lachlan, Elisabeth and Ruby.
Ruby was first, she is in a transition in a transition/year one class. I requested this upon enrolling her as her preschool teacher said she would need more stimulation than the usual work for her age. Anyway, I was extremely proud to hear that she is in the top 5 of her whole class, that her writing is brilliant and that she has mastered the best "i" in her class. She also said she is a very caring little girl and an excellent helper.
Elisabeth and Lachlan are in the same class, initially I wasn't too happy about it but it grew on me and by the beginning of the year, they were both very happy to know they would be in the same class this year. So it is a year 2/3 class with a lovely man for a teacher. I have seen him in action and whilst coming across as strict, I think he is a bit of a softie at heart.
We discussed Elisabeth first, and I might add just now that she was rather nervous about me heading off yesterday, LOL! Anyway, we went through her books and she seems to have grasped everything very quickly and extremely confidently. He said she is up there with the year 3 kids but just quietly, Paul and I knew that would happen with her after her reports last year. He commented on her friendship with one little girl in the class ans said that together they have worked out that in order to keep sitting next to each other in class, they must use class time for work and the lunch breaks for socialising. Wise move for both of them. He went on to say they had a great friendship and it was lovely to see and that this other little girl came from a very lovely family. (waves madly to Julie!)
Lachlan, well as you all know, my heart melts just looking at him, it always has and always will. Apparently he is showing excellent leadership qualities and a lot of the other kids look to him for guidance. This is something that has been repeated to us every year and even as young as a little trannie, Mrs McCrory said she could see him going on to be a school captain and a sport leader! LOL! He is consistent in his work and over the past few weeks he has come along in leaps and bounds and academically is sitting around the top of the class too. Now his teacher was really impressed with the way he handles situations such as bullying, that he likes to be a problem solver and at one point this year he stood up in front of the class and said that everyone needed to be punished after a little boy was picked on and made fun of. Not just the kids involved but everyone because they were laughing as well.
At the end of the half hour, (yes it was only meant to go for 20 mins) he questioned our parenting style, asked me how we dealt with situations at home and I answered him.
* Under no circumstances should a boy hit a girl or a man hit a woman. (Now this one can be hard especially as our girls really know how to push Lachies button but we are getting there.)
* Choices and consequences. (The kids know that if they choose to do something that is wrong, then they choose to go to their room for some time out. But if they choose to do the right thing, there is always praise and rewards to be had.)
* Manners. (Nothing is received if asked for without manners)
* To be polite and courteous at all times and to treat others as you like to be treated.
Now I am not saying that I am a perfect parent, in actual fact, maybe I am far from it but honestly, we, Paul and I, are trying as a team to wade through the sometimes ugly swamp.
In the parting conversation, this teacher said that we had lovely children, that he really could not fault anything they did, that they were always happy, well mannered, down to earth children and often put others before themselves. He said their personalities whilst wildly different, you could still tell that they came from a really well grounded family and that Paul and I should be extremely proud of our achievements as parents.
*cry*
So there it is, all of our blood, sweat and tears, all the heartache, the feeling of helplessness and overwhelming feelings of being lost at times, have been worth it. That finally the battle we have been fighting to bring up gorgeous children is finally being won!
1 comment:
Not that you need to hear this Mel but well done! I think the main thing your kids reflect back to everyone they come into contact with is the quite obvious love that you and Paul have for each other and for each of your very different children. it does help to hear a bit of external validation for our hard work every so often though doesn't it? xo
Post a Comment