Thursday, 29 October 2009

What happens when...

You cant sleep at night, you have sick kids, you wake in the morning with a raging headache and you know that you have 30 yards of fabric coming from here, here and here any day now.


Well you draft a pattern for this!






Now there is a lot of tweaking to do, which is why I made this out of some cheap material that I picked up on sale at Spotlight ages ago.
What I will change is...

* the bodice part is too wide, originally this was meant to be a 0-3 month size but I still think it is way too wide so will get someone to measure their baby that fits into this age group. It needs more of a curve under the armpits so it doesn't look so boxy.
* The straps will be altered to suit the width of the of the altered bodice.
* perhaps some ricrac or ribbon will be added to the bottom of the bodice.
* The lining of the bodice and the underside of the straps will be in a contrasting fabric.

All in all, I was pretty happy with it, especially seeing as though it wasn't cut from a pattern and that I whipped it up in less than an hour, overlocked and all!

Stay tuned for the next version, the fabric is currently on the line drying!

2 comments:

Mel said...

MEL! Far out it's awesome! The thought of *gulp* drafting my own pattern sends shivers of fear up my spine! Your my hero!

Can't wait to see the fabric. You should join in on Tam's (1/4 of an inch) Sunday Stash.
xx

fran said...

Hey babe! It looks great! I can give you dimensions for the one I drafted up if you like!
Can't wait to see the real deal in real life! Asher will look so gorgeous! xx