Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Bali

The other week I was chatting to my dear friend Fran and we were talking about the big girly trip that we had tried to organise late last year for this month. Anyway, it was a Monday night and she talked me into going after I had pulled out a couple of months ago. So on Tuesday, I had to organise a passport, tickets etc and get ready to fly out on Saturday night. It was the quickest trip I had ever organised and the best part was that there was no countdown and the endless, "How many more sleeps" comments! LOL!



So Saturday night, Fran meets me at the airport, neither of us had changed and it was fantastic to see her again. We went to dinner at a beachfront restaurant and was promptly serenaded by a roving singing/instrument playing quartet, rather funny really.

Sunday we shopped, shopped and shopped, well that is after we slept in and had breakfast made for us! I was absolutely exhausted that night and crashed rather easily.

Monday I think we were out of bed by 9:30am, out of our pyjamas by 2pm and back at the shops by 3pm. We went to a day spa, had manicures, pedicures and waxing. How hilarious was it that I changed Frans order to a Brazilian and in her words, she was waxed within an inch of her life! With our pretty fingers and toes we found a deli that was divine and bought some real cheeses, dips etc but do you think I could find chorizo anywhere? Off to the Carrefoure, which is like a huge hypermarket, and left there with a stereo, beer, more mixers and some more food including chocolate rations! We picked up the other 2 girls late that night and chatted to our hearts content.

It was funny, because all 4 of us were mums, all week we constantly reminded each other how we could finish a cup of tea whilst it was hot, not have bums to wipe, nappies to change, midnight wake up calls and the like!

More shopping Tuesday and Wednesday we decided to head to the hills on a tour that Bali Bob was going to take us on. Well after visiting the Batik factory and the silver factory, Fran and I bought these wonderful mosaic statue type things that convert into lamps, (will post a pic later) and we headed up past Ubud after a quick stop for lunch. I was most concerned, we hadn't had breakfast and let me tell you that I was thankful for the quick snack stop as it was about 20 minutes later that we broke down!

EEEEEK! So here we were on the side of the road on some dodgy mountain and a broken down van! The trip was resumed about an hour later and we decided to head back to Ubud and shop some more. Thankfully I was at the end of my gift buying and I could probably relax for the rest of the week!

Thursday we kind of lazed about, Fran and I watched some DVDs and did nothing too spectacular and that night we had our driver's wife come to teach us how to cook a traditional meal. I missed bits and pieces of it though, I wasnt feeling to crash hot as my lip was getting an ifection. Once we worked that oout, Fran gave me some stuff to put on it and the next day was feeling much better! The dinner was lovely and I can say that I have made 2 things a couple of times since being home and the kids love it.

Friday we were back at the shops, last minute stuff to grab and then it pured that afternoon. Here we were wading through calf deep water and watching rats scurrying past us and the sewerage overflowing! Where is that vomit smiley! Fran and I enjoyed our last meal together at a very nice Indian restaurant, the curries were to die for and it was a fitting end to our week.

Saturday was the day of goodbyes and as much as I had thoroughly enjoyed the week I was really looking forward to getting home to see my wonderful family. I came home at 3am on the Sunday morning and Paul had champagne ready and candles everywhere, it was so lovely!

No comments: