About 9:30am, Paul called, he asked me where I was and I said at home. The tone of his voice indicated to me that he had something important to share with me and I should perhaps brace myself.
I was right.
He told me that yesterday afternoon, our dear friend Michael Collins had passed away. He had died of a massive heart attack and they had tried to revive him for more than an hour before they decided he was gone.
Now, I didn't know this fella for as long as Paul but some people really impact on your life and he was one of them. He came to Darwin to work for Paul and at the time I was a manager at Lud too. I was having a hard time with trying to balance work, kids and Paul and it was always distressing.
On this one particular day I burst into tears in the office and walked out the back to the corral and sat on the gutter. I was a mess and here comes the gentle giant of a man, well he was a giant to me as is everyone due to more shortness! LOL! And he tried to sit down next me, we both ended up in hysterics, his knees were around his ears! It was funny and he made me smile, just as I am as I type this. Anyway, he had a really long chat with me and it was then that I decided that it wasn't going to workout with me being at work. I needed to go back to being the normal me and rebuilding my family and my relationship with Paul.
One time we went camping with all the kids, yes all 5 of them and there was a group of us. Michael lent us his camper trailer and he pitched a tent just near us. We had a fantastic set up, Kathryn had her swag, the cot ws there for Lucy and the place we were at was awesome.
That night, as darkness surrounded us, we could hear a loud long growl of a noise. Lucy was awake and Paul and I were listening to it and it was Mick snoring his head off. Apparently too many rum cans can do that to a person! haha! He was so loud and it wasn't long before all of us were a wake and in hysterics once again as we listened. Kathryn was yelling from her swag but nothing was going to wake him up. In the morning, Nugget swore that he thought that Mick must have moved his tent to within an inch of his because it was so loud.
Mick sat there with a cute little smirk on his face, and that was him, that's how he was, genuine, funny, happy go lucky person. He saw the good in everyone, he had time for everyone and our kids thought the world of him.
Rest in peace mate and whenever I make my famous potato salad, I will think of you.
2 comments:
sorry to hear you have another hard moment to live through, you had enough of those lately.
It is nice that you share those precious moments you had with Mick, these are the ones you have to remember him for and be thankful that you got to know him.
HUGS to you Mellie
I'm really sorry you've lost such a great mate. He sounds like a very special bloke.
Post a Comment